A police chief in Brooklyn Center outside of Minneapolis released the body camera footage Monday showing the officer-involved shooting of 20-year-old Daunte Wright, categorizing the event as an “accidental discharge.”
Brooklyn Center Police Chief Tim Gannon said he believed the so far unidentified officer intended to reach for a Taser but mistakenly grabbed her service weapon and deployed a single bullet. Both the chief and Mayor Mike Elliott declined to release the officer’s name at this time but said the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension should be releasing information about all involved parties soon.
At least 500 Minnesota National Guard personnel were activated across the Twin Cities on Monday in support of Operation Safety Net during the trial for Derek Chauvin – a number that’s expected to increase following Sunday’s fatal police shooting in Brooklyn Center.
The @MNNationalGuard has just over 500 personnel activated in support of @MinnesotaOSN as of this morning. The @MNNationalGuard had plans in place to increase that number in the coming days as closing arguments approach in the trial of Derek Chauvin.
— MN National Guard (@MNNationalGuard) April 12, 2021
The murder trial for Chauvin, the former Minneapolis police officer charged in George Floyd’s death, continues for the third week Monday, and Operation Safety Net was already scheduled to increase into Phase 3 ahead of closing arguments and jury deliberation. But that plan was expedited in order to quell what devolved into violent demonstrations over the shooting of Wright earlier Sunday.